Hello friends, today I wanted to share something a little different then I usually do on my blog. I’ve never attempted a color block project before so I really wanted to give that a try. I think this laser cut heart I got from Darice is the perfect opportunity to try it on.
I originally made this project over on the Darice blog for Valentines, but I think this is a project I can keep up all your long. I grabbed some of my favorite DecoArt colors and I was ready to get started!
Color Block Wall Art Supplies Needed:
I rounded up some of my favorite paint colors for this project.
Step 1. To start this craft off I grabbed some of my “handy dandy” washi tape to tape my heart off and create my color blocked look.
Before I got started I made sure to decided how I wanted to create my lines. Then I got started painting away. Let each side dry fully before applying your next coat of paint. I did a total of two coats of paint for each section.
Step 2. Reposition your tape and create your next color block area. Again, make sure your paint has dried before doing this step.
YAY, it looks so great. This is my first attempt at color blocking and I’m really diggin it!
Step 3. For this next step I really wanted to frame in the heart and use the solid heart for another project. Create kind of a modern farmhouse style heart frame. So I went through my paint stash and found another Valentine-y color to match my color scheme.
I love this shadow box, I’ve used it for so many projects. All I had to do was paint the entire frame white, and once the paint dried I added my color border. Boom done!
Step 4. Finally add a touch of hot glue to the back of the heart and firmly place it in your frame.
You can display it on a mantle like I did or add some commend strips to the back and hang on the wall. I use command strips for EVERYTHING!! Love’em.
As always thanks for stopping by. This is such a colorful project and a little different then my coastal decor I usually do on the blog. This fits in perfectly for Spring!
Here’s a link to a similar Valentine project I made a couple years ago.